Tuesday, May 18, 2010

atheistvault.com launched

Welcome to the companion blog for the website Atheist Vault (www.atheistvault.com). Let me explain what it's all about.

I tend to skim through a lot of articles these days related to atheism. I search for thought provoking and fresh articles specifically referencing atheism. Eventually it occurred to me that I was reading a lot of articles that other people would be interested in. So rather than shelving them in my browser's bookmarks, I've decided to share them via Atheist Vault.

I aim to add links to Atheist Vault that have a specific and useful contribution to atheist discussion. You won't find items of whimsy there unless it really gives the reader pause for thought. I'd like for people to find that Atheist Vault to contain only the stuff really worth reading. To be clear, I'm specifically interested in atheism, not humanism, although I have nothing against the latter

If you're looking for whimsy and general entertainment, you need to find the blogger most suited to your taste. For example, I really enjoy reading PZ Myers' Pharyngula blog, but I'm probably not going to post much of his stuff to Atheist Vault because if I linked to one of his posts I might as well link to all of them because they're punchy and rather good. If you're interested in a daily news update of something completely random, but also entertaining or current, check out http://www.antitheistdaily.com/. If you're a US citizen, pay attention to the Freedom From Religion Foundation.


Atheist Vault isn't here to find you frivolous entertainment or random news articles. That's already done quite well elsewhere. I want to link to items that represent the most interesting moments in the atheist/antitheist world. It's difficult to find fresh and interesting material when it hits the web, so let me do that for you.


Note that I finished the Atheist Vault website about the start of May 2010, so if you're wondering what happened in the world before then you'll have to google it!

Only after starting that site up did I realise that I was probably going to need a companion guide, to explain the intention of Atheist Vault and add a few links that didn't make the cut. The links I post to this blog may have some light entertainment value or they may need a background explanation that the format of the Atheist Vault website is, by intention, not designed to provide.

I hope you enjoy it. I invite you to leave comments or suggestions on this blog. Any ideas or suggestions about the layout would be gratefully received.

No comments:

Post a Comment